Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /home/www/scoutingway/htdocs/setup_page.php on line 2

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /home/www/scoutingway/htdocs/setup_page.php on line 3

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/www/scoutingway/htdocs/setup_page.php on line 3
The Scouting Way: Inspirational stories for Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cubmasters, Scoutmasters, and Pack/Troop Leaders
The Scouting Way - Current Newsletter

A Special Welcome to
BSA Troop 1932 - Arlington, TX
BSA Troop 467 - Hillsborough, NC
BSA Pack 415 - Suwanee, GA
BSA Troop 341 - Weston, FL
BSA Troop 326 - Fort Worth, TX
BSA Pack 143 - Boerne, TX
BSA Troop 85 - Tupelo, MS

who added The Scouting Way links to
their sites recently. A complete list is
at www.ScoutingWay.com.

Almost 500 Scout sites link to The Scouting Way! If your unit has a link and we missed it, please let us know.

Nathaniel Wooten - Troop 80, Houston, TX
Jason Woodin - Troop 17, Sugar Grove, PA
London White - Troop 934, Winston-Salem, NC
Allison Wedel - Troop 944, Green River, WY
Evan Watson - Troop 934, Winston-Salem, NC
Jeffrey Vincent - Troop 313, Berwick, ME
Matthew Vanic - Troop 150, Chagrin Falls, OH
Joshua Valles - Troop/Crew 688, Whittier, CA
Daniel Twaddell - Troop 150, Chagrin Falls, OH
Paul Turner - Troop 159, Waukesha, WI
Matt Triest - Troop 207, Cedar Mill, OR
Zack Tegtmeier - Troop 71, Danville, IA
Kyle Stone - Troop 207, Cedar Mill, OR
Shaun Stampfl - Troop 85, Fox Lake, IL
Diana Sloan - Troop 944, Green River, WY
Adam Skaare - Troop 772, Laguna Niguel, CA
Jacob Shleiffer - Troop 149, West Linn, OR
Nicholas Schnicker - Troop 40, Burlington, IA
Andy Rivas - Troop 71, Danville, IA
Shannon Reese - Troop 2101, Houston, TX
Matthew D. Ragan - Troop 933, Vidalia, GA
Scott Prince - Troop 896, Stratham, NH
Andrew Prichinello - Troop 95, West Islip, NY
Dustin Powers - Troop 71, Danville, IA
Robert Piccione, Jr. - Troop 98, Colorado Springs, CO
Craig Phelps - Troop 17, Sugar Grove, PA
Kristofer O'Neal - Troop 109, Melrose, FL
Joseph Vale O'Hara - Troop 410, Austin, TX
Phillip Nugent - Troop 207, Cedar Mill, OR
Matt Mitchell - Troop 318, Gaithersburg, MD
Evan Memoli - Troop 1, Oxford, CT
James McWhorter - Troop 313, Newport News, VA
Geordie McKenzie IV - Troop 85, Fox Lake, IL
Allison M. McKeegan - Troop 495, Staunton, VA
Patrick McGraw - Troop 54, Eclectic, AL
Michael McClory - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
Kyle McClendon - Troop 514, Lawrenceville, GA
Jennifer M. Maddox - Troop 495, Staunton, VA
Cory Mack - Troop 159, Waukesha, WI
Kyle Louder - Troop 588, Columbus, IN
Ben Long - Troop 896, Stratham, NH
Denny Lenihan - Troop 149, West Linn, OR
Ross LeFave - Troop 85, Fox Lake, IL
Joel Kerns - Troop 332, Sparta IL
Christopher Kenny - Troop 1, Oxford, CT
Daniel Kelly - Troop 150, Chagrin Falls, OH
Steve Johnson - Troop 612, Washougal, WA
Kevin Hudnell - Troop 934, Winston-Salem, NC
John Howell - Troop 85, Tupelo, MS
Harry Howell - Troop 85, Tupelo, MS
Bradley Higgins - Crew 313, Davie, FL
Andrew Herr - Troop 159, Waukesha, WI
Tim Greiner - Troop 313, Newport News, VA
Megan Goodrum - Troop 563, Thompson Falls, MT
Ben Gladding - Troop 934, Winston-Salem, NC
Shaunda Gittens - Troop 2101, Houston, TX
John Paul Gavlik - Troop 934, Winston-Salem, NC
Mario Garza III - Troop 205, Fort Worth, TX
Kevin Fuller - Troop 149, West Linn, OR
Jena Fox - Troop 944, Green River, WY
Michael Fotino - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
Joshua Evans - Troop 313, Berwick, ME
Nathan English - Troop 194, Pleasanton, TX
Nicolas Edgar - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
Jordan Nathaniel Dykes - Troop 412, Olathe, KS
William Ditzig - Troop 85, Fox Lake, IL
Jeff Diggman - Troop 796, West Bend, WI
Joe Dickman - Troop 24, Cincinnati, OH
Kyle Dick - Troop 40, Burlington, IA
Michael Diamond - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
Joshua Delano - Troop 313, Berwick, ME
Ryan Dawson - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
Adam Cox - Troop 159, Waukesha, WI
Ryan Coutts - Troop 796, West Bend, WI
Joslin Courtney - Troop 17, Sugar Grove, PA
Justin Clarke - Troop 111, Raymond, NH
John Bradley Clark - Troop 1889, Harlingen, TX
Jim Caldwell - Troop 44, Van Alstyne, TX
Raven Burnettt - Troop 2101, Houston, TX
Corey Buchholz - Troop 20, Piscataway, NJ
Joshua Boardman - Troop 612, Washougal, WA
Presley Bennett - Troop 49, Lynnwood, WA
Terry Belcher - Troop 40, Burlington, IA
Chris Baxter - Troop 62, Mcdonough, GA
Nick Barson - Troop 405, Baden, PA
Dustin Barre - Troop 49, Rockport, TX
Nicholas Barcelo - Troop 150, Chagrin Falls, OH
Morgan Baker - Troop 207, Cedar Mill, OR
Justin Bailey - Troop 44, Van Alstyne, TX
William Badders - Troop 49, Rockport, TX
Eric Adlard - Troop 846, Independence, MO

who earned their Eagle (BSA), Gold (GSUSA),
Quartermaster (Sea Scouts), or Queen's (UK) Scout awards.
E-mail award notices to awards@ScoutingWay.com.

Welcome to this issue of The Scouting Way
How would you feel if all of your unit’s gear was stolen? Plus the trailer it was in? Including your troop flag with 25 years worth of hard-won ribbons and awards? And ashes saved from every campfire you’ve ever had? Fortunately, most of us will never know just how devastating it was for Scoutmaster Doug Hampton and Troop 1155 of Anaheim, CA.

Fortunately, Mike Forsum of Taylor Woodrow Homes in Irvine, CA came to the rescue. In a true Scout-like act of kindness and a commitment to Scouting, Taylor Woodrow Homes donated the money to replace all the gear and the trailer. Mike and Taylor Woodrow deserve a big Scout cheer!

Doug told us the experience made his Scouts realize what was really important: losing the gear hurt but material things can be replaced. However, the troop flag and campfire ashes cannot. We should all take a moment and think about the things in our lives that really matter and cannot be replaced.

Many experiences are irreplaceable, especially traveling to new and exciting places. Today’s story comes to us from Bruce Inkley of Scouts Australia and diaries the life-changing expedition of Bruce and his Scouts.

Sandra & Jeff Schwartz


International Contingent Germany–Belarus 2001
(click here to see a picture of Bruce and his Scouts)

This trip has taken up so much time and other peoples’ time to organize and to prepare for, but in hindsight it was a worthwhile, rewarding and truly the experience of a lifetime for the Scouts and Leaders alike. It was a wonderful trip. The contingent was a credit to their parents, loved ones, Scouting, School and Australia. We were proud to represent Scouting and Australia.

We left Adelaide on the 29th of September flying to Singapore, staying the night at the Concord Hotel. We spent this first night together walking, looking around and absorbing the scenery and a very hot atmosphere. We spent some time together before going to bed to discuss the future and how we would work together as a Contingent, by ourselves amongst strange people and places.

We got up early for a swim in the pool, workout and a big, all you can eat breakfast. The transport to the airport to fly to Frankfurt, Germany, was organized before we left Adelaide. The flight was long, but gave us time to watch videos or play computer games and "sleep". We arrived at Frankfurt full of excitement and expectation, we collected baggage and were met by Oliver, Christrian and Gitti Grieb (my wife, Hellen’s, relatives) The Contingent was surprised to find a red carpet, literally and the Australian flag, but we were too tired to worry about these "weird people". We were all given information packs and packed into 3 cars for the trip to Wurtzburg along the autobahn on the wrong side of the road, at speeds up to 200km per hour. We went to the Lengenfield Scout House where we were met by the Scouts and the host families. All went home to get acquainted, present gifts and sleep.

We all met at the Scout House and walked to the bus stop and went into Wurtzburg for the day, sightseeing. We were given a guided tour of the Residence (the home of the Prince Bishop) a truly amazing mansion (modern castle) the riches, artworks etc. had to be seen to be believed, especially the gold room. We were then given a guided tour of Wurtzburg, the narrow streets, churches, shops and the old stone bridge. We had lunch and drinks at a café, the kids ordered from a German menu (written in German) The scouts were absorbing the Language like sponges and already starting to speak German. We went back to the Scout House for dinner, prepared by the scouts, presentations and the evening together. Home to our host families.

Met at the Scout House 5.30am. Oliver and I drove to the Castle Neuschwanstein (the fairy tale castle of King Ludwig 2nd). All castles are on top of mountains! Which means lots of walking. We also decided to cross the border into Austria, where we took photos and went for a brief walk. On to Munich, parked the cars and took the underground to the city center. We spent 2 hours walking, shopping and sightseeing. Caught the underground to the Octoberfest. We could not believe our eyes, side shows, bigger than anything we had ever seen (our side shows look like a country fair) the beer tents (14 of them), were gigantic and crammed full of people, drinking, singing and dancing on the floor, tables wherever they could. We met the Lengenfield Scouts but there was not enough room to join with them. We went outside to have a drink. We left the Octoberfest and returned to the cars via the packed underground. The underground had many armed police and security guards. Home 2.30am, a few of us slept on the way home. A wonderful, exciting but tiring day.

10.00am at the Scout House, the Lengenfield Scouts joined us to travel the romantic road to Rothenburg. The contingent all took turns to ride pillion on Oliver’s motor bike, the kid enjoyed this, my trip return was on the autobahn at 210km per hour!!!! Free time – sightseeing and shopping. Walked around the outside city wall and through the back streets. Returned to Wurtzburg to visit the castle fortress Marienburg, another monument to the church and very impressive. It started raining and was very wet, but not cold. The evening was spent with the Lengenfield Scouts at the wine festival, good food, drink, music and a lot of dancing. Home to the host families.

Met at the Scout House and caught the bus to Wurtzburg. We were invited to meet and have morning tea with the Burgermeister (Mayor of Wurtzburg) at the State Room in the Rarhaus, this room is only for meeting important visitors and dignitaries, we felt important. We had two hours free time before taking a sight seeing boat up the River Main to a little village to have afternoon tea with friends we met last time we were in Germany. The evening was spent at the Scout House, dinner, again prepared by the scouts, games, dancing and the first of the farewells. It was becoming evident that the first leg of the journey was coming to an end and we were very sad to go. We had an important meeting at the scout house to discuss the airplane that crashed into the black sea. Responsibility hung high what do we do? – the decision the group made was that the final decision to fly was to be made in the morning. I spent a lot of time trying to find out information from the news and internet, an e-mail from Australia, stating that the parents empowered us to make these decisions, but if he were in my shoes he would fly! This swayed me and I went to bed scared about the decision I had to make.

Met at the scout House 5.30am, everyone eager to find out what was going on. I informed everyone that we would fly to Minsk, now we were all scared as well as sad. We packed up, said our good byes and drove to the airport, we were all deep in thought with lots of emotions of fear, sadness, excitement and the not knowing what would happen next rolling around with in us. The good-byes at the airport were very emotional. The flight to Minsk was 2 hours and went smoothly, a short step compared to our previous long hauls. I can assure you I have never been so happy to touch down at Minsk. We departed the aircraft to be processed, we had to buy medical insurance and get our visas. There were problems getting the visas and this took time. The contingent members became scared and we helped each other to stay calm. (The contingent members were unsure of Belarussian system of immigration and became a little uneasy about what was meant to happen). We were stopped at immigration, and I had my bags searched, the gift of some scout badges helped the Contingent get through without inspection. Time was important as we had to catch a bus and then a connecting train to Gomel. We met Andrey Suslov and Vladimire Gorolova and took the bus to Minsk. Our first meal in Belarus was McDonalds then on to the train station for a 5 hour trip to Gomel. (sleeper cabins, 1960 vintage train, cost 4 2.50US) We arrived at Gomel train station at 10.30pm. Excitement had taken over from the fear and uncertainty, which meant sleeping was difficult for all except Heather and I. We embarked off to a huge group of people, scouts and other travelers, we struggled with bags and all headed off down the platform, into a tunnel (no lifts just stairs down & up) and out to the car park where the taxis were waiting. We all left in different directions with scouts host families, I, as was the rest of the contingent, concerned, but was assured all was alright. We had to trust the people we would spend such an enjoyable and rewarding time over the next! week. It was wonderful to spend time with Elena, my Russian Daughter it was as if we had not been away from each other. Being with Elena and Vladimire felt like being at home with my special family.

I was never so pleased to find out that all contingent members had arrived at Sergi’s home to apply for the necessary registration (passports, photos, insurance & money was required) The Belarus Scouts went off to summit the papers for registration and the Contingent went off to have a pizza. It was organized that we were given free tickets to the ice house to watch a ice hockey match (Belarus and Ukraine) Ukraine won. We went by taxis. We all left again separately, I felt more confidence with this occurrence. Alex, Elena, Vladimire, Alex Sara, Stacey and myself walked back to Sasha’s home for dinner, party and dancing. We had a great time. Zoe returned home to write and read e-mails. Elena, Vladimire and I walked home to talk and go to bed.

We all got into the central bus station still not sure exactly what we were going to do and for how long we were going to stay, but this seems to be the way it happens in this country. We met the scout troop at the central bus station, then we were packed into a bus, standing room only, (not even that) to wait for a half an hour in a hot, smelly environment before our one hour trip out to the silver birch forests. We were eventually unloaded and we were glad to have our bags back in our possession again. We were free to enjoy the hike in the country and forest. We then found out that the place for lunch was a 30km hike through the forest. We were horrified (I am not a lover of hiking at the best of times) the scouts carried the food, huge cooking pot and the plates. We set up camp, the men prepared the game and the women made the fire and prepared lunch (Macaroni and "canned cow meat") we shared the bowls and most of us ate the meal, Sarah panicked but I helped her to eat her meal, we buried the rest. After the meal we played the game, a series of stations where there was an activity, the kids ran around and participated in all activities. Andrew and I ran a station each. The team to get around successfully in the shortest time won. The scouts lounged around swapped badges, talked, laughed and played. We tidied up the campsite, did an emu bob to pick up papers and scraps, the cans and paper was burned and buried, well sort of. We hiked back, knowing it was only another 15 kilometers. The group stopped to play a game of football (soccer). We had no idea where the Belarus scouts or our scouts got their energy. We hiked on, some were sore blisters were starting to develop, and darkness approached. We tried to catch an employee bus but were forbidden to get on so we walked on. We stopped for a rest, after 3 kilometers I realized I had lost my glasses (typical) and had to hike back with 2 Belarus scouts 3km and then return (6 kilometers to my hike). We waited patiently for the bus and we traveled home sit! ting down (the first and last time in Belarus) and arrived at the bus station, taxis home by 11.30pm. Exhausted, stiff, sore with blisters we relaxed and all slept well.

We all met together at Lenin Square, still stiff and sore from the day before. Sarah, being a good scout, had band aids for my blisters she mad a good nurse. She did however make it clear that I should have had my own. We walked through the square, post office, church, park and down to the river Sosch. We skimmed stones and walked out on to the bridge. Bought cabbage rolls and chocolate for lunch. Bus to the ice house where we were invited to go ice skating, with 2 trainers, a good time was had by all. No shoes big enough for Andrew! We again boarded the bus to go back to Gomel where we saw some shops and went to a restaurant for a late lunch. Alex trooped us in two loads to the scout house, where we were shown around and played games, we had a rice bubble cake in the shape of the scout symbol, this was made by the scouts. We all left for our homes. Elena, Vladimire, Andrew and I joined the Suslov family and Zoe for a huge dinner, with music, dancing and pictures and memories on the computer screen. This evening was very special to those people there and it was a truly unforgettable evening.

The true meaning of I do not know was becoming very apparent we met together, after the agenda being changed 3 times in a half an hour. (Russian way) We were invited to view the Jewish school, where Alex’s daughter attends. We went by taxi, 7 people in the back seat! Only the driver and one passenger in the front seat. It is not legal to carry more people in the front seat. We were treated like royalty and given a full meal. Children go to school from 7.00am to 7.00pm. They sang danced and put on a big show for us, we also visited their classrooms where they showed us how they learn English. We then went to the Bazaar, a huge market, we all had to be careful of pickpockets, gypsies and Mafia, all went well with no hitches. We all did some shopping and bought fur hats and martruskas. We met the Scouts and went to the park (piped music) and enjoyed some of the rides and then on to the Scout house in a trolley bus (what an experience) for an evening of games, fun and presentations. Andrew, Sasha, Alex, Vladimire, Elena and I went to play Billiards

We Met at the Bazaar, spent time until all arrived. More shopping, Heather was in her element. We then went to Dimma’s school we were also invited to attend. Here we met Elena Bruy, the interpreter who visited Australia in 1992 with the children of Chernobyl. She is well, still single and devotes herself to her nephew. Again we were treated as important people. One of the students rode home and baked a cake for us and then rode back again, that is how special we were to them. We then visited the big shop only to find the part we wanted to buy from was shut, it took a lot of convincing to open it up for us. After this frustration we all went home. Some of us went to dinner at the pizza shop, guess what no cheese so we had meat, sausages and potato. It rained heavily, the roads were flooded. We packed into cars to return to home to dance and party. Had a phone call from Slava (child who came to Australia in 1992) He is now a bank manager and is going to get married.

Met at the River Sosh to go sailing. We went out in windy cold weather, in two 7metre trailer sail boats and had an exciting, wet but pleasurable tour of the river and surrounds. This was the first wet day we had. We all went to the Host family of Sarah and Stacey for a picnic lunch on the lounge floor. The men cooked the lunch. All went home to shower, and get ready for the evening the girls went to the hair dressers to get ready for the dinner dance and final farewells. We all went to dinner a total of 20 people. We all met at the restaurant, the table was set out fit for kings we ate, drank, danced, had fun, laughed and cried as the reality hit again this was the last night together. Final farewells, presentations of badges and home, this hurt just as much, if not more than the first farewells in Germany. In Germany we said auf veidersein and in Belarus we said dasda vidanya but never good bye.

Early meeting, the second lot of good byes and off to Minsk in a van and a car, we stopped to have sausages and coke, then on to the Airport, a 5 hour trip, stacked in with our luggage. We arrived at the airport, unloaded and inquired about cutting the locks off of Chris’s bag, so that he could get his tickets and passport tickets out (he locked the keys safely in the case) We all said our good-byes and we departed smoothly with much sadness, as we departed into the departure lounge. The departure lounge as different as chalk and cheese to the incoming area. We flew to Frankfurt. Time in Frankfurt Airport went quickly, we all called our families in Australia, they were so glad to hear from us. We left Frankfurt, knowing the Americans were bombing Afghanistan, Singapore Airlines flew around the area making the flight one hour longer. All shutters in the aircraft were closed and the crew was very uptight. This was probably the worst flight of the trip, as it was so long and we were also separated throughout the aircraft

We arrived at Singapore, tired and ready to go home. We shopped, ate a meal, some of us slept. It was interesting many people knew about our trip and spoke to us, wanting to know how it went some people had even heard us talk on the radio. This impressed us all. We were important, respected and very tired travelers. Chris slept for 8 hours I must admit I slept on the restaurant floor. We had a last meal together excited about coming back to Australia and our loved ones. We left the airport for Adelaide.

Arrived at the airport to a huge banner and parents and families jumping up and down excited to see us home safely. We went through customs smoothly but slowly as the customs in Adelaide was the worst we had seen in our entire trip. We went out to meet a huge group of loved ones to greet us back home. The end of our trip, we had achieved our aim and arrived home safely, tired but happy. We will carry the feelings we had for people in far away countries and each other in our hearts forever.

Comments from Bruce and his Scouts (click here for a picture)
This trip has been a vision or dream that has become a reality. I did not appreciate the enormity of what I had planned. I watched in disbelief and amazement how eight different people could become a very close caring Contingent. From the time we departed from our families each member watched and cared for each other. I observed the Contingent members grow, learn language, form relationships, share their thoughts stories, join in with scouts of two different countries, learn about emotions and finally good byes. They made friends that they will remember forever and hold their precious memories deep in their hearts. We had two short weeks that now seem like a dream. Our memories and experiences are ours to treasure and share with family and friends. Australia, Scouting and the families, as I am proud of this small Contingent. They are a credit to themselves and should be proud of their achievements. They made me proud and if I were to do this trip again with another Contingent I hope they are half as good as this group of fine upstanding youth members. BRUCE INKLEY

Every body has grown so much. In Singapore we all taped a 30-second piece on our trip. I wished now that we had done that before we left just to compare. Our growth may not be visible or measurable but it did happen and it happened in front of the leaders eyes like an opening cocoon. ANDEW IND.

This trip was a wonderful chance to experience cultures that differ from our own so greatly that it is almost impossible to describe. We visited a world that most people could only dream of ever experiencing and I feel honored to have been able to share the experience with my fellow contingent members. I learned that the Australian society and lifestyle is something that none of us should ever take for granted, but that people are still the same the whole world over. The warmth and friendship of the Belarus & German people was something that really hit me hard throughout the trip. Even though the people of Belarus lacked material possessions they were always willing to help out and love us with all their hearts. Belarus is truly a wonderful country and along with Germany it posses a beauty that we just do not have in Australia. I would like to thank Bruce for giving me this most wonderful opportunity I have learned such a great deal about people and myself and viewed such magnificent scenery. DALE MAZZARCHI

The thing that touched me most on the trip was when we went to a Jewish school in Gomel, Belarus. As Bruce said "we were treated like royalty", I was amazed that prep-school students and younger, who have to learn 4 different languages: Belarussian, Russian, English and Hebrew. They still found enough time, even though they have a twelve hour school day, to sing and dance for half an hour just for a bunch of Australian scouts. While this touched me the thing that I will remember the most from my stay in Belarus was the potatoes or ‘Kartofeln’. Every meal that I had included potatoes in there somewhere, even when we went to restaurants. When I was at my hosts’ families house, breakfast was what we had for dinner the night before. All in all I will never forget this amazing experience which I believe has given me the traveling bug which will stay with me for the rest of my life. CHRIS BARRITT

As I hadn’t given much thought about our German stay it came as a surprise of color, history and the meeting of many interesting and unforgettable people. Did not like the apparent lack of knowing what was organized, also hike details. I liked the lady I stayed with, she was informative and spoke good English. Interesting that breakfast usually was what was left over from dinner. There was a totally rewarding experience in being part of the Contingent and sharing experiences of good and bad, a true reward of this trip. My Host families in Germany and Belarus made me realize many things are universal problems with children, parents and employment etc. I appreciated seeing different attitudes and approaches to scouting ( in Belarus they continually challenged themselves eg long hikes), I suppose I was frustrated not knowing or understanding the Belarus system. HEATHER LESCAI

I did not know what to expect from this trip. I knew it was going to be a lot of fun but I never imagined it would be as great as it was. We were not just the Australian contingent but a family of brothers and sisters. I was amazed by how strong our friendship became between each other and the people we met along the way. Most of these people we only saw for a short amount of time and we may never see again, but that will not stop us from carrying them with us in our hearts forever. The friendships we made are priceless and I know that the contingent and our overseas friends will always keep in touch. This is just the most important factor for me. ZOE VANDER LEE

The trip was an absolutely incredible and wonderful experience for me. It was great to get a chance to experience different cultures and meet new people. Not only the chance to experience the different cultures of Germany and Belarus, but also the opportunity to meet and know so many wonderful people. It has meant a lot to me. We grew very close to our Host Families and I feel that the bonds that we made with them will last a lifetime. I will always treasure my memories of the time I had with them. STACEY PATERSON

This trip was a trip of a lifetime. I am only thirteen and I was given the opportunity to experience going overseas to meet scouts and seeing what scouting and life is like in a different country. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I don't regret my decision to go. I met a lot of people and made life long friends. I saw what life was like in a country that is not as well off ours in Australia and it has made me more grateful for what I have. I took some pictures of Australia to show my hosts and in Belarus, my host asked if I had any photos of the ocean and if I had ever seen a shark, this was because Belarus is surrounded by land and he has never seen the ocean. SARAH HARVEY

Copyright 2000-2005 The Scouting Way. All rights reserved. The Scouting Way is not affiliated with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or any other organization.